Search My Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

To Paci or not to Paci...

Take my paci...I dare ya!

I admit, I was that mom that said, "No way am I giving a paci."  
Well that lasted right up until he was about a month old and one night he just would not stop fussing.  All he wanted to do was suck...on me.  Liam used me as a paci for the first month of his life, and boy did my nipples suffer for it.  On that fateful night my husband and I caved and tried the paci.  Guess what...Liam quieted down instantly!  Like a mute button!  Thankfully though he has not become one of those babies that is reliant on his paci.  Yes, it calms him down most of the time, but there are times when he just does not want it.  Lately, because he is teething, he seems to want it a little more.  Not always for sucking though, he likes to pull it out and turn it around and chew on the back of it - the hard plastic side.  

I AM IN NO WAY SAYING GIVING A PACI IS BAD OR THAT YOU ARE A BAD MOM IF YOU DO.

Babies like to suck. Period.  
If a paci will help, then so be it:)

I would rather have Li Li suck on a paci than his thumb.  A paci I can take away eventually...his thumb is attached.  He is becoming a little thumb sucker though....like his daddy.  

Here's my issue currently - Liam wakes up fussing for his paci at night.  If I can get in there before he fully wakes up and put it in, he is fine...most of the time.  I am wondering if going hands free at night will help...he is currently napping for the first time with his hands free.  Maybe he will be able to find it on his own??  Or...I am wondering if weaning him from the paci completely will help?

Any tips mommies??

xoxo,
Molly
Paci Paci

Family run!

1 comment:

  1. My son used the paci until 14 months (he is now 4 1/2 years old). I used to have to give him his paci 1-3 times a night until he learned how to put it back in on his own. My daughter, who is 8 months, has not figured out how to put it back in on her own in the dark. So I am in there a few times each night putting it in her mouth so she'll go back to sleep. I'm not sure how to get her to do it on her own like my son did.

    At 14 months, I decided to not offer Gavin the paci that night and wait for him to ask for it. He NEVER did. I threw all the pacis away after that and he never needed one again. Olivia seems a lot more attached though. She WILL not calm down or got to sleep without it. I'm curious how she will do when it's time to take it away.

    ReplyDelete