Search My Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Preschool


One of the best decisions I have made for Liam was sending him to preschool!

A lot of people thought I was crazy to send Liam to preschool at 2.  But after being home with him for a few weeks over the summer it was very clear that it was the step he needed in his little life right now.  This kiddo craves learning and figuring out new things.  He also thrives on structure and routine.  Seeing all of this sent me on a mission to find him a preschool ASAP.  

What's sad is how unbelievably hard it was to 1- Find a place with an opening for his age 2- A place that would take him un-potty trained and 3- A place we could afford.  Thankfully (I think) Liam helped out with #2 and took it upon himself to potty train...but that's another post;). I just find it sad and ridiculous how expensive preschool is.  It is such a crucial time for little ones and its untraceable for many families due to costs!  Two years old ( for my little guy ) was when he became a sponge.  He is learning new things DAILY!  I'm always shocked at what comes out of his little mouth!  

Warning: getting on my little pedestal now...

As a primary teacher I have seen the effects preschool has and the effects of those who were unable to attend.  I fully believe it should be mandatory for two big reasons: 1- It sets a solid foundation for learning and 2- It teaches kids social skills they won't learn at home and how to function as a student in school.  I'm not saying homeschooling for preschool is terrible or bad.  Hey if you're home and can do it more power to you.  But in my opinion homeschooling lacks the social development aspect of a true preschool environment.  If I had been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom, I still would have sent Li Li to preschool.  I love picking Liam up and seeing his whole little class sitting politely at the table waiting for snack.  It's possible to get even the little ones to follow directions. It only helps them down the road. 

Now before you get mad at me...yes I feel preschool should be mandatory, but I also feel it should be provided by the state just like any other public school.  Financially, even for J and I who have pretty well paid jobs, it's a struggle.  We pay over $600 a month for Liam to go to preschool.  That's a hefty fee and definitely on the lower side depending on where you live.  That kind of money put preschool out of reach for many.  Trust me I get that and I think it's wrong!  We now have Transitional Kindergarten which is fantastic but unfortunately only some kids qualify.  My Li Li misses the birthday cutoff cause he's a June baby so he can't attend TK.  This means if I want that foundation laid at an early age I have to fork over the $$ to do so.  Obviously education is hugely important in this household so we are gladly giving Li Li this opportunity to learn as much as possible now.  But it shouldn't be like this.  I just taught my 5th graders about human rights and how we all have the right to education...free education in the primary years.  But alas...for our smallest students it costs a fortune.  So yes...preschool should not be optional...but it should also be provided by our government.  The kindergarten teachers out there would greatly appreciate it I'm sure;) 

Ok off my soap box...

Liam already knows his colors and counts better than some of my first graders did last year.  I attribute this to preschool completely...with a little pat on my own back for reinforcing what I can with him.  He's recognizing words and matching words to pictures!  He's singing songs and his imagination has blossomed!  Preschool provides him with everything his little mind needs right now...plus a nap and snacks;).  I'm so so glad we found such a wonderful place for him to go everyday!  I don't worry about him as much as I used to...prolly because he's growing up so fast:/. 

If you want to know where he goes send me a message:)  it's truly a wonderful environment!  We love it so much that Levi will be going there when I head back to work:). 

Xoxo, 
Molly 


So proud of himself❤️

2 comments:

  1. This was very well written and I totally agree that the kids who go to preschool have an absolute leg up both academically and socially over those who don't. I have seen this over and over again in my life. It surprises me that there are still some who don't agree with this and think that keeping them sheltered at home where they cannot get as much stimulation is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for reading! Glad I'm not alone! Wish there was a way to convince the state! How did you find my blog if you don't mind sharing??

      Delete